Tonight my Hubby made some A-H-M-A-Z-I-N-G (Yes, I purposefully spelled it wrong) Black Bean Burgers w/ Guacamole + Kale Chips! So we’ve been on a Vegetarian diet for a month now & it’s been a pretty interesting journey.
Going from MASSIVE Carnivores to Vegetarian was a bit of a challenge at first BUT I must say that I am loving this NEW vegetarian way of living. AND to still be able to eat burgers (while feeling lighter & healthier) without NEEDING meat is awesome!! So I thought I’d share the recipe with you all so that you could try it too……
BE SURE TO TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!! 🙂
Homemade Black Bean Veggie Burger Ingredients:
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained/rinsed [**OR you can soak 1/2 bag of black beans overnight–the night before!]
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce [OR hot sauce]
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled [OR 1 teaspoon garlic powder]
- 1 egg
- Honey Mustard [OR your favorite condiment for using as sauce on burger buns]
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly oil a baking sheet [OR large frying pan–for better flavor and juiciness].
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork [OR put in a food processor for better consistency and ease] until thick + pasty.
- If food processor was used, add finely chopped bell pepper, onion, and garlic [OR garlic powder].
- In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce [OR hot sauce].
- Then stir the egg mixture into the black beans mixture. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky + holds together.
- Divide mixture into 4 patties [OR whatever amount that can be made, if more]
- Place patties on backing sheet [OR frying pan], and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
***If not using canned beans, here’s directions for soaked beans below:
Soaked Beans Directions:
- Rinse soaked beans and put in large pot filled with enough water to cover beans.
- Put stove on medium high, until the water begins to boil.
- Add 2 tablespoons of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, and 1 teaspoon of oregano.
- Stir seasonings in well.
- Once boiling, turn stove down to low and cover pot.
- Let it simmer for at least 1 hour, while occasionally stirring.
- Once tender, drain water and use as directed in the above Black Bean Veggie Burger recipe.
- 3 avocados– peeled, pitted, and mashed
- 1 lime, juiced [OR 1 tablespoon of bottled lime juice]
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
*In a medium bowl, mash together the avocados, lime juice, and salt. Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and garlic powder. Stir in cayenne pepper. ↓
***Refrigerate 1 hour for best flavor, or serve immediately if needed.
Now, once you’ve done the two main recipes as shown above, you’re ONLY left with making the kale chips [which are SUPER easy!!]
Simply wash a bunch of kale [however much you want—THE MORE THE BETTER BECAUSE IT TASTES SO GOOD!! LOL]. Once rinsed, simple pat dry with a paper towel and spread out on a baking sheet. Lightly dress the kale with olive oil and sprinkle salt atop olive oil dressing. Place in 425 degree F preheated oven for about 10 minutes [OR until crispy + with brown edges].