Tonight I decided to make Chipotle-inspired Veggie burrito bowls!! This is a very fun, healthy, and family-loving recipe that pleases the Tummy EVERY TIME!! This is a classic favorite in my house and we actually prefer it without meat since it’s very FILLING just the way it is. It’s a guaranteed crowd pleaser!
So let’s get down to it….RECIPE TIME!!
And trust me, You’ll enjoy!! 🙂
- 1 cup uncooked rice (I used Basmati Brown Rice)
- 3 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 (15.25-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed (OR soaked & cooked)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced (**IF you like Avocados)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Sour Cream (ANY amount that pleases you!)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (use your favorite!! I used Mozzarella & Mexican Four Cheese Mix)
- In a large saucepan of 1 1/2 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; let cool and set aside.
- To assemble the bowls, divide rice mixture into serving bowls; top with lettuce, corn, black beans, tomatoes, avocado, homemade salsa, shredded cheese, and cilantro.
- Serve immediately, top with sour cream.
FOR THE HOMEMADE SALSA
- one 28-ounce can whole plum tomatoes, including juice
- 1 small white onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 or 2 jalepeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, or to taste
- 1 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, optional and to taste
- 1 or 2 handfuls cilantro leaves (I prefer 2)
- about 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Add all ingredients to food processor in the order listed. Pulse a few times to break up the large pieces, then process until texture is as smooth as desired.
- Taste the salsa and based on personal preference, adjust as necessary.
- Transfer to airtight container and let sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or 1 day for best flavor.