It has officially been three days since Thanksgiving (AKA Turkey Day) and I’m sure like me, you have a bit of leftovers still in the fridge, either ready to be eaten up or thrown out if you’re no longer interested.
I know the feeling! I’m struggling to swoop everything up in my day to day meals so that nothing goes wasted! So, this morning I chose to use a bit of my leftovers for breakfast! Now, I know that some of you may just heat up a plate of leftovers and eat it that way. However, I wanted to heat up my leftovers with a twist and something more interesting for the tastebuds.
That’s why I chose to use my leftover Buttermilk Fried Chicken and give you some Southern charm with my Southern Cheese Grits and Brown Sugar Bacon. Yes, Ma’am! Yes, Sir! This is a to die for meal FULL of goodness!
So keep on reading so that you are able to bite into my recipe and swim through my sea of pictures! I hope that this serves you well!
HAPPY READING 🙂
Southern Cheese Grits w/ a Twist Recipe
4 cups Chicken Stock (**MY personal twist!! Gives it so much more flavor!)
1 cup quick cooking grits
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups shredded cheese (I used Mexican Four Cheese & Mild Cheddar)
- In a medium pot, put 4 cups of Chicken Stock in and bring to a boil.
- Then add 1 cup of quick cooking grits and stir attentively with a whisk until grits begins to thicken (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter, while continuously stirring grits, until fully melted.
- Add 2 cups of shredded cheese and stir in entirely until grits are nice and creamy.
- Reduce heat to low and let it sit while you finish making the other ingredients for your meal!
Brown Sugar Bacon Recipe
2 tablespoons brown sugar
4-6 strips of thick cut bacon (OR your own personal favorite in any amount**)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place thick cut bacon on baking sheet, spread out entirely with a tiny bit of space in between each slice.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of brown sugar on each strip, covering entirely from one end to another.
- Place in oven and cook for roughly 10 minutes or until crisp and caramelized.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 1 minute and plate!