Muffins haven’t always been my favorite thing to eat when it comes to sweet treats, however, I decided to give it another try by using two of my favorite flavors together–Lemon + Blueberry! To my surprise, I thoroughly enjoyed these muffins and loved the fact that I could give them (without being sparing) to my little guy because they aren’t extremely sweet.
Besides, this recipe is quick, easy, and very much open to substitutions if you aren’t necessarily a fan of these flavors, so how could I not give it another try?
Moreover, these muffins only lasted about 2 days in my house (like MANY desserts, so I think that confirms how good it was. Haha! Also, I think that 2 days is a decent enough time to have them out before they become stale. Remember, you can always place them in the refrigerator OR freezer for longer periods of time.
For these muffins, I used lemon extract because it gives a much deeper “lemon-y” taste, which I love, in addition to lemon zest (for that bit of freshness). I also used frozen blueberries (because I usually have huge packs of frozen fruits for smoothies), but you can feel free to use fresh blueberries if preferred. Either way, the more blueberries, the merrier to me! Wouldn’t you agree?
Well, I’ve included the recipe down below so that you can give it a GO!
Glazed Lemon + Blueberry Muffins Recipe
For the muffins:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (make sure it’s at room temperature OR place in microwave for 5 seconds or so)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (OR brown sugar if preferred)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 large eggs (make sure it’s at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (OR 1 tablespoon Lemon Extract)
- 1/2 cup whole milk (I used evaporated milk)
- 1 cup blueberries (Fresh OR Frozen)
For lemon glaze icing:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and Line cupcake baking pan with paper muffin liners (much easier to clean + remove muffins).
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In another bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest. Stir gently with a fork until mixture becomes fragrant.
In an electric mixer, beat softened butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Then add eggs, vanilla, lemon juice (OR lemon extract), and milk; mix until well combined.
Add flour mixture and mix on low until just combined and thick. Gently stir in the blueberries. **NOTE: If using frozen blueberries, lightly coat blueberries in 1 tablespoon of flour before adding to batter, to prevent “extra sweating” during cook time.
Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups and stir batter around a bit to even it well into each muffin cup since it’s a bit thick.
Bake for 23 to 25 minutes OR until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven and let muffins cool completely!
Drizzle the glaze over the muffins by using a ziploc bag and cutting a small hole in the tip of the corner for a better job.
Let the muffins sit until the glaze sets.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING YA’LL. BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS DOWN BELOW IN THE COMMENTS SECTION.
ALSO, BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY SOCIAL MEDIA PAGES FOR MORE FUN + INSPIRATION.