When it comes to Mexican bowls, burrito bowls, or ANY kind of bowls for that matter, I must say that I’m a huge FAN. I truly enjoy the ease of making a quick meal on days that are hectic (especially after a long day of work, juggling my little guy, and a host of other things to-do), while still accomplishing a great taste factor and being pleasantly full at the same time.
Being a Vegetarian so far has been refreshing, especially when making Mexican inspired bowls. You get a chance to highlight the veggies, but the use of beans leave you thoroughly filled as if you had meat included.
In addition, it’s super fun to make, quick to do (especially if you us shortcuts like canned beans, etc.), and dare I say—you definitely won’t miss meat. Haha!
This recipe took all but 15 minutes or less to assemble together (after the beans were cooked) and the longest part was the beans cooking time, simply because I decided to use dry beans as usual instead of canned. Personally, the dry beans taste better and hold together well (especially since you can make it a bit tougher if preferred or entirely soft), whereas canned beans already come a bit soft and mushy for the most part. Anyway, I don’t mind the cook time for my beans since it gives me ample time to prep the other ingredients, so that once it’s time to assemble, I’ll be as swift as a Chipotle restaurant line. Haha!
And keep in mind, that like with most of my other recipes, you can always mix and match or substitute for your favorite ingredient if you don’t feel like using everything that I’ve used here. It’s just left up to you and your tastebuds.
So let’s gather everything together and make this delicious Mexican bowl….Measure, measure, measure!
See recipe below to give it a GO! Enjoy.
Veggie Mexican Wheat Tortilla Bowl Recipe
- 1/2 bag of Red Kidney dried beans (soaked overnight)
- 1/2 bag of Black dried beans (soaked overnight)
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon Onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried Parsley
- 2 Tomatoes (diced)
- 2 cups of romaine lettuce (rinsed + diced)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch of Cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I used sea salt)
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 7 Wheat Flour tortillas (You can also use corn tortillas if preferred)
- 1 cup of Mexican mixed shredded cheese (OR your own personal favorite)
- Sour cream
- Sriracha sauce (garnish; optional)
- Bring 4-5 cups of water in a medium pot to a boil, then add kidney & black beans; Add Garlic powder, Onion powder, Red Pepper Flakes, Cumin, Salt and dried Parsley to beans and let simmer for 1-1/2 on medium-low heat.
- In the meantime, slice tomatoes and romaine lettuce and put aside.
- Cut and scrape avocado from skin into a small bowl. Add lemon juice, pinch of salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper while stirring until combined. Set aside guacamole.
- When time to assemble, warm wheat tortillas slightly in the oven or microwave (tastes better this way in my opinion; optional).
- In prepared bowl, add 1 layer of wheat tortilla to bottom of the bowl. Then add cooked beans on top, then lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, and a bit of guacamole. **Repeat steps for second bowl**
- Stack remaining wheat tortillas and slice in triangular shapes. Decorate around bowl using each triangular piece of tortilla until fully used.
- Garnish with Sriracha sauce if desired.