When it comes to Lasagna, I am a true fan! Even in my meat eating days, I would enjoy making lasagna (mostly with turkey meat) because of it’s great flavor and silkiness. Often times, I’ve paired a great slice of lasagna with either salad or garlic bread, but this dish didn’t need either component.
This recipe is full of flavor through the different veggies present inside and as usual, you can mix and match with the veggies that you decide to include based on your tastebuds. The other awesome thing is that there’s less dish washing afterwards since most of the components are cooked and prepared with little to no mess. OK, so there’s a bit of a mess present when layering your lasagna and it does require a lot of hand work. Haha! Rest assured, once you’ve taken your first bite into this lasagna, you won’t miss meat AT ALL and you’ll leave feeling super light and fulfilled with all the flavors/textures that burst through with every bite.
Furthermore, the added zucchini was a refreshing twist and super soft. Plus, my hint of chili powder with the red pepper flakes gave it that hint of spiciness that I just love! All in all, this recipe is a great way to introduce veggies to your little ones (without making veggies seem scary or uncool) as well as to anyone who may be a bit hesitant to truly eat only veggies and no meat. You can fully load your lasagna with a ton more veggies if you’d like to ensure that everyone gets a full plate. Healthy and Tastey—all in one.
Find the recipe below if you’d like to give it GO!
Dismantled Mixed Veggie Lasagna Recipe
Serving size: 3-4
Total cook time: 1 hour (approximately)
Prep Time: 30 minutes (roughly)
- Two (15oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 package of Oven-ready Lasagna shells
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (I used purple onion)
- 2 Red on-the-vein tomatoes
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- pinch of Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder (**Secret ingredient**)
- 3 cups mixed greens—Spinach, Kale, & Chard
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup Mexican mixed cheese (shredded)
- 3 Tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese; also another 1/2 cup for later.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat and add the onions and green bell pepper and season with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano, red pepper flakes, dried parsley, and chili powder and cook until the veggies are slightly softened (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add tomato sauce and mixed greens; Let simmer for 5-10 minutes until greens are wilted and sauce becomes bubbly. Add cream cheese and 1 cup of parmesan cheese while stirring well to ensure that cheese are well incorporated and smoothly in sauce.
- Let continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- In a prepared baking dish, place a bit of tomato sauce mixture at bottom to lightly coat dish. Assemble 3-4 lasagna shells in a row and add a bit more sauce on top. Then add a handful of mozzarella cheese, zucchini, slices of tomato, and layer with lasagne shells again. Repeat until completed.
- Once all layers are created, top with remaining 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese and Mexican mixed cheese and cover with foil paper.
- Place in oven and let bake for 30 minutes.
- Then remove foil paper and let bake for about 5-7 minutes, until cheese and edges become slightly brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and serve.
- Bon Appetit!
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING YA’LL. BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS DOWN BELOW IN THE COMMENTS SECTION.
ALSO, BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY SOCIAL MEDIA PAGES FOR MORE FUN + INSPIRATION.