I chose to make this recipe after feeling for something sweet during my nightly binge TV watching. I needed something easy and super light, therefore, I went for this lovely 7-up Lemon cake. I’m usually not a huge fan of cake as a first choice of dessert; I simply prefer cheesecakes, cupcakes, cookies, etc. But I must admit that this cake is a winner every time! Sometimes, I choose to change things up by using Sprite or another lemon-lime flavored soda, but with tonight’s original soda (7-up), I can attest to the great flavor profile in this cake. Besides, this is really the ONLY time that I get a bit of soda in my system, except when I rarely decide to enjoy a can of Coca Cola. It’s just so GOOD, especially when it’s cold! Can you relate? Haha!
Anyway, it’s a super quick recipe to throw together, however, the bake time is a little over an hour, so I wouldn’t recommend making this if you’re in an immediate need for a quick sugar fix, unless you can wait of course. Haha.
Be sure to check out the recipe below if you decide to give it a GO!
REAL LEMON-Y 7-UP LEMON CAKE RECIPE
- 3/4 cup 7-up soda
- 5 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons lemon extract (which gives it a greater Lemon flavor!)
- 1/2 cup Powdered sugar
- 3 cups All-purpose flour
- 3 cups Granulated Sugar
- 3 full sticks of butter (preferably, unsalted)
- 1 teaspoon Milk (I used evaporated milk BUT regular milk is fine!)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon Juice (real or squeeze kind is fine) OR lemon extract if you want a deeper lemon flavor
- Mix butter and granulated sugar together for about 10 minutes OR until well incorporated and fluffy.
- Add in eggs (1 at a time), beating well after each one.
- Add in your flour and lemon extract and continue to mix well.
- Once everything is well mixed, turn off mixer and fold in the 7-up soda with a spatula.
- Pour into well greased Bundt cake pan and even out batter all around.
- Side tip: Add a half-filled small pot of water in oven with cake to keep the cake moist while baking.
- Bake at 325 degrees in oven for 1 to 1 hour & 20 minutes (OR until golden brown & fully set).
- Remove from oven and let it cool for at least 30-45 minutes and then add lemon glaze by whisking together: milk, lemon juice, and powdered sugar.
- Add your garnish of fresh fruits or ice cream if desired and ENJOY!