This recipe is has to be one of my personal favorites after giving it a try the other night. If you’re a regular follower of my blog, then you’ll know that I truly enjoy T-A-C-O-S! Usually, I would use turkey meat or the occasional beef, but this recipe is MEATLESS + full of chickpea.
Previously, I tried curry chickpea (for the 1st time), which was amazing by the way! However, after trying them in tacos, I must admit that I’m a new “chickpea devotee/junkie”. Haha! Interestingly enough, chickpea is a great addition to many dishes (as I’ve done my research) and the nutty taste and great texture, certainly adds a great element to this dish.
In this recipe, I did simmer my chickpeas in tomato sauce just so that they wouldn’t be too dry, however, although there was quite a bit of juice from the sauce, when assembling my tacos, I did drained off any excess sauce from the chickpea to ensure that my corn taco shells didn’t get soggy, etc. Just an FYI! Also, like with any other time I make Mexican inspired cuisine, I add my homemade guacamole, because who doesn’t love it, right? Haha. Guacamole just adds a nice fresh taste to any dish. And just yesterday, I saw a recipe on social media that paired avocado with chocolate, so I’m guessing that avocado has now become a universal ingredient. *Crazy!*
Well, as usual, I’ve included the recipe below in case you decide to give it a GO! Happy Cooking Ya’ll!
Chickpea Tacos Recipe
Serving size: 3-4
Total cook time: 30 minutes (approximately)
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes (roughly)
- 2 (15 oz) can of Chickpea (drained + rinsed)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- pinch of Cayenne pepper
- 1 box of Corn Taco Shells
- 4-6 flour tortillas
- Sour cream
- 1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup Vegetable stock
- Guacamole (homemade or store bought)
- 2 cups lettuce, rinsed + chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Sriracha sauce, as garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat and add onion and sauté until soft (about 3 minutes).
- Then stir in garlic, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, brown sugar and cook for about 1-2 minutes, until it becomes fragrant.
- Add tomato sauce and vegetable stock and mix well. Add chickpeas and stir to coat well. Season with salt to taste and let simmer for 6-8 minutes until chickpeas are slightly tender.
- Place corn taco shells and flour tortillas on baking sheet in the oven (while turning oven completely off) and let them warm up slightly for 2-3 minutes. (I find that they taste better slightly warm and crunchy)
- Remove from heat and assemble tacos–by placing about 1/2 cup chickpeas (if you like a lot of it) in taco shell (or flour tortilla), then layer with lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole. Garnish with Sriracha sauce, if desired. (Note: I decided to layer my tacos with flour tortilla and corn taco shells for a nice bite, optional).
HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TACOS W/ CHICKPEA? IF SO, DID YOU ENJOY IT? IF NOT, WOULD YOU CONSIDER IT? BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING YA’LL.
ALSO, BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY SOCIAL MEDIA PAGES FOR MORE EXCLUSIVE FUN + INSPIRATION.