Normally, I hear so many divided reviews on this little mini cabbage look-alike veggie called Brussel Sprouts. Some people have raved about loving this little vegetable for it’s unique taste, while others have complained of it’s bitterness. Brussels sprouts are rich in many valuable nutrients. They are an excellent source of vitamin C and vitamin K. They are a very good source of numerous other nutrients including folate, manganese, vitamin B6, dietary fiber, choline, copper, vitamin B1, potassium, phosphorus and omega-3 fatty acids.
While on my current mission to try a ton of veggies that I’ve never tried before (in hopes of keeping my new Food Journey alive), I decide to give these mini cabbages a try!
To be honest, I felt a bit intimidated (at first) to try these because I was afraid of not cooking it correctly and having it ruin my entire experience and scar me for life. Haha! But to my surprise, it wasn’t a hard veggie to cook and the bitterness that I expected was not as great (or barely at all) due to the roasting process as well as the dressing that I used to coat my veggies. These Brussel Sprouts actually had a great “meaty” texture and feel to this dish and would remind me of a great mushroom substitute, if you’re not a mushroom lover or haven’t gone down that route yet!
Well, I can say hands down that once again, I’m loving this Vegetarian journey so far and I am beyond excited to begin my future recipes for Seafood dishes (which is to come soon so stay tuned). Next on my list of things to try (besides seafood) are mushrooms, asparagus (in a different way because my first experience was blah!), purple cabbage, eggplant, beets, summer squash, and other types of veggies.
Any other suggestions?
All in all, I’m excited for these new bursts flavors and bright colors add to each dish. Haha!
Per usual, you can find the recipe below. Happy Healthy Cooking!
Roasted Veggies + Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe
Serving size: 3-4
Total cook time (including Prep Time): 1 hour, 30 minutes (approximately)
For the Veggies:
- 1 pound of Brussel Sprouts, trimmed & rinsed
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large Yellow Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 large Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs of Sweet Potato
- 3 Tablespoons of butter, unsalted
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
For the Dressing:
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel, rinse, and dice Sweet Potato and bring to a boil and cook until tender (about 30 minutes or so).
- Once all veggies are diced (including the trimming and removal of brussel sprout’s outer leaves and bottom), lightly dress with Extra Virgin Oil and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
- Then place veggies on prepared baking sheet (avoiding them to be overcrowded or on top of one another) and place in oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Half way through their roast time, lightly toss veggies (turning them over on the other side to char evenly).
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together Extra Virgin Olive oil, Lemon Juice, Sea Salt, Black Pepper, Red Pepper flakes, and Garlic Powder until well combined. Set aside.
- Drain fully tender Sweet Potato and mash with a spoon (or use an electric mixer for ultimate creaminess). Add butter and continue to mix well until at desired consistency. Set Aside.
- Once veggies are charred and completely roasted, in a large skillet on medium-high heat, add veggies, dressing, and chopped walnuts while lightly tossing until fully coated.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately. Garnish with parsley if desired.
HAVE YOU EVER TRIED BRUSSEL SPROUTS? IF SO, DID YOU ENJOY IT & HOW DID YOU MAKE IT? IF NOT, WOULD YOU CONSIDER MAKING IT A DIFFERENT WAY? BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING YA’LL.
ALSO, BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY SOCIAL MEDIA PAGES FOR MORE EXCLUSIVE FUN + INSPIRATION.