ORCHIDS + SWEET TEA was launched in 2016 as a community for Mommies, Creative Writers, Entrepreneurs, Foodies, Lifestyle fanatics, Regular Folk, and Faith-filled Individuals of every kind. This blog is a quickly growing collective of people from around the world who aren’t afraid to Love. Eat. Converse. And Be Different.
ORCHIDS + SWEET TEA is a blog that takes you on a real journey through Motherhood, Lifestyle favorites, Faith, Food/Sweet Treats, Love, + a whole lot of Southern Charm.
Mission: To inspire the [gems] of the world one blog post at a time.
Motto: “Life + Motherhood is a journey that only you can travel through. It’s full of innate giftings. It’s all about those intuitive moments. It’s a series of trials + errors, which present an opening for you to find the right fit.”
Furthermore, inspiration stems from my fondness of Orchids. In history, Orchids have represented the following:
- One of the major orchid genera is Paphiopedilum. The name is derived from the word “Paphos” which is the name of the temple where the Greek goddess of love, Aphrodite, was worshiped.
- In Ancient Greece, it was believed that parents could choose the sex of their child by eating the orchid’s tubers. If the father ate thick, fleshier tubers, the child would turn out to be a male. If the mother ate smaller, thinner tubers, the child would turn out to be a female.
- Aztecs commonly mixed vanilla, a type of orchid, with chocolate to create an elixir that brought on power and strength.
- During the Victorian age, orchids were only found in the tropics and were extremely rare. Therefore, Victorians would collect exotic orchids as a sign of luxury and refined taste. When given as a gift, the more rare the orchid, the deeper your love and passion was for the receiver.
- In China, orchids are regarded as emblems of integrity, elegance and friendship.
Lastly, my love for Sweet Tea is based on my Southern roots, of course. Born + Raised down south has truly shaped my character, perspective on the valuable things in Life, interaction with people, etc. Drinking sweet tea is one of the oldest and most exceptional Southern traditions. So why not add a bit of my Southern-inspired sweetness to this blog, right?
Overall, this blog is a conversation between YOU + I about this intricate thing called LIFE (Good + Bad, Easy + Hard, Original + Cliche), from a young Mama’s perspective, who has survived some of Life’s toughest moments, yet still refuses to let it all end there and be the end of her story. Her story is just beginning, Ya’ll!
Hi Ya’ll! My name is Shanika! It’s a pleasure to meet you! I am a Mama to a beautiful little boy And oh boy, is he the sweetest & most demanding little guy EVER! He truly melts my heart and freezes it ALL at the same time (Haha! The struggles of Motherhood!). Seriously, I wouldn’t trade this journey of Motherhood for the world! Yes, it is hard at times, but to watch this little human grow, develop, love, engage, & everything else in between is absolutely amazing! I’m also a wife to my High School Sweetheart! Yes, I know, I’m so lucky to have met my better half in High School, but it most certainly has been a journey! Going on 12 years together has created a plethora of ups and downs and some really amazing moments! Regardless, I am so happy to have found my best friend, who is also my partner, lover, confidant, & father of my child. Last but not least, I’m a creative being, who loves writing and sharing my daily experiences as a way to learn + teach at the same time, aiding in my own growth. Like you, I strive to be successful in all areas of my life and hope that this blog can reflect my journey and my living Life on my own terms-in the best way possible!
Disclaimer: All photos on www.Orchidsandsweettea.com are taken by me (and belong to me) unless otherwise noted + sourced. If one of the photos on my blog is yours and you want it down, please message me + make me aware of this. No photos on this site are allowed to be used without permission. Thank you!